With so much fresh produce finally in season, it’s fitting that June should be National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month. Crisp veggies are not only delicious, but they’re also fantastic for your health. They provide you with tons of vitamins and minerals, which may help reduce your risk of disease. You can take part in this health initiative by adding more fruits and veggies to your diet and by following a few of the healthy eating tips below.
- If you love exploring new things, one of the simplest ways to encourage yourself to eat more fruits and vegetables is to pick out something out of the ordinary. Peruse farmers’ markets, produce aisles and fruit stands for unfamiliar fruits and veggies.You can also enjoy cooking different recipes and experimenting with flavors.
- Sneak extra fruits and veggies into your breakfast and lunch. Throw a chopped banana or sliced strawberries into your cereal, or stuff your turkey sandwich with extra veggies, such as spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers and avocado.
- Keeping fruits and vegetables easily visible will help encourage you to reach for them when you’re hungry. Place a bowl of apples, oranges and pears on the table for a beautiful display that can also double up as a quick and healthy snack.
- Rethink your meal planning strategy. Rather than choosing your protein and then your side dishes, start by thinking about which veggies you’re going to incorporate into your meal and plan the entree from there.
- Choose fruit for dessert. Top berries with a spoonful of whipped cream for an easy sweet treat that still provides you with tons of nutrients.
With these simple tips, you can celebrate National Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Month by effortlessly adding more fresh produce into your meal. For a great starting point, order one of our gourmet fruit baskets from Hickory Farms. With a colorful variety of fresh fruits, these baskets are a convenient way to eat better and get healthier. Who knows, you might even start celebrating this delicious month more often!