Hickory Farms knows that leading a healthy lifestyle is important to our customers and their families. When choosing a condiment as a spread for a sandwich, mustard is the healthiest choice. Containing no high-fructose corn syrup found in ketchup, or the unhealthy fat in mayonnaise, mustard adds savory zest to burgers and ham-and-cheese sandwiches without all of the calories.
Since National Mustard Day will be celebrated on Aug.5th, we’ve highlighted some of the best health benefits of adding mustard to your diet.
- A tablespoon of yellow mustard has 21 mg of potassium, contributing to the recommended daily intake of 2,000 mg for adults. Potassium transmits electrical signals to the body, helps muscles contract (including the heart) and aids in digestion.
- Mustard seeds contain magnesium and selenium, which can help fight inflammation, decrease blood pressure and alleviate the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and asthma.
- Mustard seeds are a great source for the omega-3 fatty acids we need for healthy brain tissue growth. These unsaturated fats also play a role in preventing deadly heart disease.
- One tablespoon of yellow mustard contains 16 mg of phosphorous. Healthy adults need approximately 700 mg of phosphorus a day to keep their heart and kidneys functioning well. Phosphorus also helps break down B-complex vitamins, fats, carbohydrates and proteins.
- Mustard also contains protein, as well as fiber and vitamin C, which we all need to stay healthy.
Keep Hickory Farms’ gourmet selection of mustard on hand for all occasions in your well-stocked pantry. You can choose our Variety 8-Pack featuring three flavors — Sweet Hot, Honey & Pineapple and Cranberry — or a 3-Pack of our Sweet Hot Mustard. Get creative and use them on sandwiches, as a glaze for ham and as dipping sauces for chicken wings. No matter the recipe, our mustard makes for a delicious addition to any meal!
Drop by a Hickory Farms store near you, or call 800.753.8558 to place your order today. Hickory Farms also offers online ordering and home delivery for our customers’ convenience.