The upcoming holidays are typically the busiest time of the year as families begin planning festive dinner parties for friends and relatives. So, chances are high that at least one holiday celebration will feature a spiral ham.
- The last you want to do is overwhelm the juicy flavors of a well-cooked ham, so keep that in mind and select something lighter or medium-bodied, like a sparkling Pinot Noir or Beaujolais.
- The inherent sweetness of ham and the holiday’s traditional sweet side dishes blend best when your wine has a touch of fruity flavor. A type of wine to serve with Hickory Farms Spiral Sliced HoneyGold Ham stands up well next to a fruity Pinot Grigio with a hint of honey.
- Ham dishes featuring sweet pineapple and brown sugar glazes are a delicious holiday treat that should be paired with a sweet wine. Drier wines can taste too acidic with these foods, so now is the time to serve a sweet drink, like Reisling or Moscato.
- It’s a good idea to select a wine with moderate alcohol levels when pairing with a salty ham. A heavy red with lots of tannins can clash with the strong flavors of a salt-cured ham. Wine pairings of this type of ham works well with the smooth and refined flavors of Kendall-Jackson Vitner’s Reserve Chardonnay.
- Some holiday hams are of the spicy variety, making Rosé the perfect choice. Other acceptable options include a fruity Cabernet Sauvignon or Gewürztraminer.
No matter which wine is served with a ham dinner, you’ll be a real hit when you enter a holiday gathering with one of Hickory Farms wine gifts like our Hickory Holiday Celebration Gift Basket. Packed in its own reusable gift basket is an assortment of sweet and savory treats, from dark chocolate-dipped almonds and shortbread cookies to summer sausage and cheddar cheese. This elegant holiday gift also comes with two bottles of wine, a Chardonnay from Kendall Jackson and a Cabernet from Murphy.
Place your orders early in time for the holidays by ordering online or calling 800.753.8558.