Planning a party can be a fun experience. From selecting menu options and decorating your home to compiling the perfect playlist, the list of things to do goes on and on. But even experienced party planners can become stymied when trying to choose which wines go best with which foods.
Some wine pairings work because of their similarities to the dish; others succeed because they make an interesting contrast. Other factors to consider are whether you’re serving lighter fare, which generally calls for a light white wine as opposed to a heavy-bodied red.
The most basic wine rule has always been serve reds with red meats and whites with chicken and pork. This is because the fats and proteins in red meat mellow the tannins inherent in red wine.
One interesting contrast you might consider recreating is the heat of a chili-infused or spicy Cajun main course offset by a sweet Reisling or Italian Moscato. Below are a few other suggestions that stand the test of time.
- Champagne tends to go best with salty foods, which is the reason you’ll often see the bubbly served alongside caviar at elegant affairs.
- A white wine like Sauvignon Blanc does well with foods that are slightly tart or tangy. Think Orange Chicken or seafood-based dishes like Scallops with Grapefruit Onion Salad.
- You can never go wrong pairing a thick, sizzling steak off the grill with a robust, red Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Consider all the dairy ingredients in a Chicken Alfredo and select something with a buttery component like an oaky Chardonnay.
- Spring is an excellent time to serve roasted lamb with a light, fruity Beaujolais.
- A Greek salad loaded with olives and feta cheese is delicious with a cold Pinot Grigio.
Hickory Farms extravagant wine gifts have been carefully selected and paired with numerous delicious offerings to make your next party a huge hit! You can view our wine collection on our website, or contact us at 800.753.8558 for more information.