Even the world’s most famous chefs cut corners in the kitchen. Today, we’re going to share some of the tricks that top chefs hide under their toques in order to save time and trouble in the kitchen without¬†sacrificing flavor or quality. These six top chef shortcuts can help you go from an amateur to an at-home chef and entertainer extraordinaire.
- Breadcrumbs¬†make a great substitute for flour when you need to thicken a sauce. Allow them to simmer for several minutes to release their starch, and remember to strain the sauce before serving. Your sauce will be thick and flavorful with no floury taste.
- Use a pair of¬†kitchen shears¬†to cut meat¬†swiftly with no mess. They make it easier to get the exact sized pieces you want while keeping your hands clean. Kitchen shears are also a quick and easy way to¬†mince garden herbs¬†for your favorite recipes.
- Instead of starting from scratch, use a ready-made sauce or condiment to quickly add a zip to sauces, marinades and dishes to cut down on prep time.
- Fresh cheese is a must for authentic Italian and other dishes, but soft cheeses can be difficult to grate quickly and easily. One trick is to freeze the cheese¬†for 20 minutes to make grating a breeze.
- Waiting for butter to soften adds precious minutes to a busy cook’s tight schedule. Hasten the process by¬†grating the butter¬†in a bowl. The small pieces soften much faster.
- Homemade stock¬†is the lifeblood of many great recipes, but is time consuming to prepare. Having pre-measured amounts on hand can save tons of time and energy. The next time you make a pot of stock, fill a muffin tin with the liquid after it cools and throw it in the freezer. Once frozen, pop the individual helpings out and store them in labeled and dated freezer bags.
It’s no secret that¬†Hickory Farms¬†is a great gourmet shortcut with fresh fruits and nuts, award-winning sausage and cheese, and pantry essentials like Chipotle Ranch Sauce, Horseradish Sauce and Sweet Hot Mustard. Visit our website to place your order and stock your kitchen like a top chef!